Here is the same ribbon on black satin:
The center of this block has a mostly black fabric that read too dark, so I turned it around and am using it backwards. The roses show up much better this way.
Here is the fabric turned the "right" way. I cut apart a leather barrette and used the sections as flower appliques. I sewed on different-sized shiny pink buttons for centers.
This is my favorite block in the whole quilt. I found a book at St. Vincent de Paul with pictures of "antique" stencils that were supposed to be used to paint furniture or walls or what-have-you. I have been using it to make applique patterns. Some of them seem so modern and they are remakes of these really old patterns from colonial times. I have a feeling that book is going to get worn right out!