Thursday, December 17, 2009

I've been making BAGS!

I have been on a bag kick lately. I have been making Big Giant BAGS!I started out making a few because I wanted them for groceries. Well, I found a half a dozen on sale at Walmart for a DOLLAR each so I snapped those up. They weren't quite as big as mine, but they rounded out my collection nicely. So now I have enough bags to go to the grocery store, and when they ask if I want paper or plastic, I can answer, "Fabric, please!" :0)


Anyway, it was fun, so when my sister asked me to copy one of my "real" purses, which was just a storebought purse/bag thing, for her, I thought I would give it a go. Here is the real purse- for some reason I can't get it to load right so you all will just have to tilt your heads. I have had this for years and I love it, and always get lots of compliments on it, but it's starting to wear out.





This is the applique that I have sewn to the bag fabric for the new one. The owl applique turned out awesome. It would have been much cheaper just to go buy the bag, but they don't sell them anymore, and plus the one I am making is better made. I may end up making another one so I can retire my poor raggedy worn out one.





I will post pics when it is completely done. I have to make the straps and then sew it together so maybe a few hours of work left on it.



Emboldened by my success I decided to make one for Brady's kindergarten teacher for Christmas. He helped me a little so I can say it's from him. (He likes to peel the paper off the back off the applique pieces.) I made it HUGE- here it is sitting next to a paper bag, so you can get an idea of the size. My cousin is a pre-school teacher and she said that all teachers would love a huge bag to carry all the crap they have to bring in. This should fit the bill! LOL!





I designed the applique myself, just tried to make it bright and fun for kids, but not too kiddish to where she couldn't use it elsewhere. I think I succeeded. She could haul this to the beach or grocery shopping or whatever. My applique is definitely getting better as I practice more.

I think it turned out really cute. The lining on this one was a little loose, and I have not had that problem yet, but I think it is because the bag was SO big and I didn't quilt it much.

These are really fun to play with. I have lots of friends who want them so I am going to be busy making bags for a while. I do have a new quilt in the works, made COMPLETELY from vintage sheets, but no pics yet.

4 comments:

  1. These bags are great! Love the owl - but then who doesn't love owls? And that is a perfect bag for a teacher - she'll love it...

    Hope you have a Happy Christmas and a Merry New Year!

    Hugs - Shari

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWesome job! I'm afraid of bags. afraid of applique.

    That's a huge bag, but I know the teacher will love it. They do have a ton of crap to haul all the time.
    You've got your mojo back!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My, my you have been busy. I love your bags.....and the applique' is an added bonus. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should make bags for groceries. I use the ones you can buy at the grocery store, but they are pretty ugly, and I use them for picnics, farmer's market, etc. Plus I'm pretty sure that I can't wash them.

    As a former teacher, I can definitely say teachers have a thing about big bags. I used to laugh about it.

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say?