Friday, January 15, 2010

Finish For Friday- applique bag

Another Finish For Friday!! I am 3 for 3 this month!
If you want to join in on Finish For Friday, head over to Lit and Laundry and join in. It doesn't have to be a sewing finish- it can be anything.

I have no quilt finish this week, but I did get a bag done. This one is for my cousin and she has been waiting a while for it.

I am slowly getting better at these as I make more. Each time I make one, I tweak something and make my pattern better. This time I made a stiff "board" for the bottom on the inside. I just used the lining fabric, 2 thicknesses of the interfacing and then quilted it with close lines. It really helps the bag hold it's shape. The bag is very large (18" wide x 16" tall x 8" deep) so it tends to be a little floppy. I like the bag to stand on it's own, so I use the heaviest interfacing I can find. Another tweak I made this time was in the large pocket. I put a layer of interfacing in the fabric for the pocket, which keeps it from sagging open.


I have been admiring Joanna's very recent applique art quilt and also a less recent one. I liked how she mixed brights with brown, so that is what I did for my applique on this bag. I liked how it turned out so much that I am making myself a bag like this one, too.


I love the brights and brown together, but would not have come up with that on my own, so thanks, Joanna!

7 comments:

  1. Lisa, this is SO awesome! It makes me really happy that I was able to inspire someone:) Your bag looks fantastic! Brown and brights is an excellent combo in my humble opinion ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your bag. What a great way to use that fabric for the tree leaves. I have that fabric and didn't know what to do with it. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bag is just adorable! I love the applique tree, gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's yummy! Good finish. Have you ever tried Peltex (I think that is the name of it?) It is usually sold with the interfacing and is very stiff. It is perfect for bag bottoms.

    I'm dying to see your grommet bag...I'm just saying... =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the colors you chose for the tree, and the light lining on the bag, I really don't like dark linings. I have a bag with lots of pockets around the inside like that, and I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Lisa, that's a great tote. I love the tree. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love it! It's so pretty! Thanks for joining in on Finished for Friday.

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say?